Thursday, November 20, 2008

Over the river and through the woods


...to grandmother's house we go. Or, more precisely, to my mom's - but picking up our sons along the way thus their grandmother's. My brother and our dog will be accompanying us from Boulder so, by the time we get to Petoskey, there will be five humans and one fuzzy beast descending on what is typically a very calm and quiet homestead. Nothing like adding a little excitement to an 88-year-old's life! It is the first time we'll all be together since I finished The Run (August 2007). A long overdue gathering, I'd say!

Since we'll be driving across the Great Plains, we've been keeping a close eye on the weather. It has certainly been topsy-turvy here in Boulder. Last week was quite mild. However, Saturday's long run started in 18 degree weather...the coldest so far this fall. I couldn't quite remember what-all to wear when the temperatures dip so low so I pretty much just threw on every layer I could get my hands on. The cold air was very short-lived; by Tuesday, it was shorts and singlet weather...not just warm, but hot! Yesterday, another shorts & t-shirt day but today I was dancing over ice-encrusted wooden bridges as I ran along the creek paths amidst freezing drizzle. Because we're heading to Great Lakes/North Woods country, I figure we're looking at a week of wintry weather done right...but have packed a pair of running shorts just in case ;-)

No comments: