Saturday, January 16, 2010

New trail - Yay!

What with all the long-lingering ice and snow, my collection of running routes has been somewhat restricted of late and, frankly, has become rather boring. So! Today I tried something new!

First, I ran from home to the Boulder bus station (along an oft' frequented route, but to start a new adventure so it had some thrill associated with it). There I caught a bus to the neighboring town of Longmont (arriving at the bus station with an entire 60 seconds to spare before the hourly bus left ... adding to the thrill of the day).

Once in Longmont, I ran north from the bus stop wandering through unfamiliar neighborhoods until I found the marker for the St. Vrain Greenway trail - a trail I had read about but had never run on. What a delight! It's a concrete bike path (beautifully plowed) with a dirt path alongside (still snow-covered) that runs right along the banks of the St. Vrain River for 7+ miles. I saw no other humans once I set out along the trail - just water birds, raptors, chattering prairie dogs, river water running over and through ice formations, ice-covered ponds - one pond with a fox carrying his breakfast across the frosty surface (look closely at the photo below).


I tell ya', there's nothing quite like a new trail to brighten up the psyche!

No comments: