Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Big test for that daily run thing

So.... the evening and day following my last post, we got a foot of snow and the thermometer forgot that it was supposed to show actual positive degrees. Yet still I ran.

The first day, with piles and piles of fresh snow everywhere, I managed to get in an 8-mile run along bike paths to/fro a doctor's appointment. Yes, bike paths for all but a few blocks between my house and the doctor's office - and 100% of those paths were plowed. Sometimes Boulder really comes through for us runners! In the meantime, Mister Taz had quite a challenge getting through the snow that seemed to be taller than his legs are long:
Taz, jumping from the shoveled driveway into the yard
The next day, paths had started forming through the snow - making for a very happy pup (and pretty happy runner as well!):


Then the packed snow started turning to ice so running buddy, Connie, and I reverted to roads for our Sunday run. I was short on time but wanted a bit of a hard run so we chose the NCAR hill as our running venue. It's a long uphill run (about three miles uphill from my house to the top of NCAR) - but the sense of accomplishment and the view are well worth the effort.
Top of NCAR looking across the eastern plains - well, we're looking east; Taz is wondering when we're going to start back downhill
The next day, Monday/yesterday, was a day plagued with my least favorite running conditions: high winds (sustained strong winds with gusts up to 87 mph) and snow/ice-covered surfaces. I broke my arm once in these conditions (walking to work on ice in high winds) and the day was ripe for a repeat of that. Mondays happen to be the day I run to my volunteer job early in the morning, picking up running buddy, AndyE, about 2/3 of the way there. He was outside waiting for me as usual - but, not as usual, he was insisting he drive me the rest of the way there. It only took three tries to convince me to accept the ride; I'm glad I did! Meager mileage for the day, but I lived to tell about it!

Today, thanks to yesterday's Chinook winds, almost all of the snow is gone, temps are in the 30s and 40s, the running is great, and everyone seems to be trotting around with smiles on their faces!  After a morning of Taz running, exercise class, and running to & fro the exercise class, I sat down to work - my first foray back into my post-retirement CU job since shortly before Christmas. It included a conference call with my boss and we exchanged photos of those who would be joining us on the call - his 8-month-old daughter and my Taz pup. His daughter is cuter, but I sure liked having Mister Taz at my side while I worked!



No comments: