Friday, January 26, 2018

AIEEEE Flashback!

Today.
It's January. 
A few days before my first-born's birthday. 
Packed snow and ice on the roads. 
The wind is blowing. 
And it's trash day.
FLASHBACK!

January 21, 1993, one week before my eldest's 8th birthday.
Roads are completely covered with packed snow and ice (much worse than today).
The wind is gusting up to 90 mph (much worse than today).
I am walking to work in the wee hours of the morning when a gust catches me and blows me right over. I am pretty sure some damage has been done. I get up, look down at my arm and see that my hand is drooping at a right (or so very wrong?) angle to the rest of my arm. I am a little over a mile away from home and a little less than a mile from work. There are no lights on yet at any of the nearby homes so I continue to walk, unsteadily, toward the office. Hark! I hear the sound of a vehicle and stand out in the street to flag it down. It's a trash truck, and the fellows take one look at me and get me into their truck as I ask if there's any way they can contact my husband. Thus the now infamous phone call was made. Upon answering the phone, the first thing Kendall hears is "This is Western Disposal. We have your wife."  Broken arm #3 is in the books. 
Note: Broken arm #1 was while playing wall-tag baseball in 4th grade; I was so surprised I'd hit the ball, I tagged the wall a bit over-enthusiastically. Broken arm #2 was while cross-country skiing and I came downhill out of the woods onto a bare patch - inspiring Kendall's older brother's inscription on my cast of "Next time let Kendall go first." And broken arm #4 was just stupidity on my part when I got engrossed in watching a very well played pickup basketball game while I was cycling home from work and rode right off the bike path.  I have yet to break an arm running and would very much like to keep it that way. To say I ran cautiously today, is an understatement!

Back to January, 1993.  I had a tradition of making and decorating my kids' birthday cakes and I was not to be deterred by a measly broken right arm. My eldest had requested the Starship Enterprise and I was determined to create the Starship Enterprise - 'cuz that's what moms do!

















No comments: