Sunday, May 17, 2020

Springtime in the Foothills

In recent weeks, I really have been attempting to "train" rather than just run. This week I was well on track: good mileage every day, hill repeats on Wednesday, speed work yesterday and a steady-effort long run planned for today. I left the house at 5 a.m. (having discovered that Very Early runs are great for avoiding crowds) with a route laid out along roads to the east and south and a Kendall pickup on tap for 7 a.m. at a neighboring town.  I made it about 2 blocks into the run and decided, nope, I am headed west to the hills. Thus I turned toward the trails and, oh boy, am I glad I did. The hills are bursting forth with spring blooms - lower fields dotted with wild iris and upper trails coming alive with alpine flowers.  Another outing that reminded me just why it is I love to run - and run very happily as a tourist rather than a speedster-in-training.

Early in my run, a discovery of a new, most exquisite, Little Free Library on my way to the trailhead:


















Then along the lower portion of the trail, wild irises:
 

















 On the higher portion of the trail, alpine wild flower peeked out:
 







 ...and after a delightful couple of hours, headed back down toward "civilization":  

No comments: