Saturday, May 07, 2022

New Mexico Extravaganza - Part 2! Tucumcari!

So there's this song which firmly planted the idea of the town of Tucumcari in my brain. With thanks to Little Feat and the song Willin':
I've been warped by the rain, driven by the snow
I'm drunk and dirty, don't you know
And I'm still, willin'
And I was out on the road, late at night
I seen my pretty Alice in every headlight
Alice, Dallas Alice
And I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari
Tehachapi to Tonopah
Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
Driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed
And if you give me weed, whites, and wine
And you show me a sign
I'll be willin, to be movin; 
 
And so the town of Tucumcari landed on our 70 in 70 quest ideas list - with the intrigue of the town further bolstered by the fact that the town boasts 100 murals throughout the town as well as the New Mexico Route 66 Museum! Thus we battled wind and dust devils and wound our way to Tucumcari from the Capulin Volcano - and it was well worth the trip!

Number 17: Tucumcari, New Mexico - the town
The town itself was a delight - from our campground, to architecture, to restaurants, to plant life, and to the presence of Route 66 just about everywhere you turned.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 










 
 
Number 18: Tucumcari Murals
It turns out the town literature wasn't exaggerating about the murals - everywhere we turned there was astounding artwork to be seen!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Number 19: New Mexico Route 66 Museum
This Route 66 Museum is a treasure trove of Route 66 memorabilia: - photos, vehicles, newspaper clippings, knick knacks, gas pumps - you name it they seem to have it! 'Twas a very entertaining visit.







...and from the delights of Tucumcari, we head south!

No comments: