Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Hills Hills Hills

I am a firm believer in incorporating hills into a training plan.



A few weeks ago, when I did a trial run of the first 24 miles of my 60k route, it dawned on me that my miles 13-21 were also miles 17-25 of the Boulder Backroads Marathon course. Back when I was running Backroads every year, many of my training runs were over that portion of the course so I would be used to the, ahem, undulations. On my recent trial run over that portion of the course, all I could do was gulp when the realization hit that I hadn't tackled those hills often enough to reduce their intimidation factor.









Somehow, between the training I had fit in, the distraction of the llamas at 14.5 miles, and the Anita-Connie cheering squad near the crest of the biggest hill nearing 18 miles, I was able to rumble through. The experience, however, did reinforce the value of hearty diet of hill training.

So! Today, in my first week of ramping up toward racing fitness (vs. long-run fitness), I joined the aforementioned Anita-Connie cheering squad for hill repeats. Oooofdah! 2 minutes up, followed by 2 sets of 60"/75"/90"/75"/60" up. All under blue sky and on trails at the base of the flatirons so one really couldn't do much complaining (as if we had enough breath left over for such activity). I'm already starting to feel a bit more spring in my step. Hill magic!



Photos:
Top, looking east/downhill toward two little dots approaching.
Connie said she knew it was me when she heard my voice from afar.
Bottom, looking west/uphill as I run & Linda cycles over the crest of the hill at 18 miles.

No comments: