Thursday, July 06, 2023

Our Summer Michigan Trip - 2023. Part One of who-knows-how-many!

 I figure I had better get started posting about our annual summer trip to Michigan (2023 edition) before the trip is over!  This first post of the trip is a quick one with a few highlights of the trip from Colorado to Michigan. Of course, "highlights" in my book, includes a fun run or two.

This first photo is of Kendall, ready to crank up Hedwig while holding Comi the gnome (from Paul & Jen's wedding) to be delivered to Petoskey Connie D. who watched the wedding via Zoom.


Once on the road, Taz points the way east.

Our first night out, we stop at a favorite campground in Grand Island (Hall County Park). Of course as soon as we stopped, Taz and I had to go for a wee run on one of the trails through the campground.

The next morning, running from the campground along a bike path, we discover buffalo - buffalo in Nebraska! What would Ralphie think?

The second night on the road, in our usual quest to avoid driving through Madison, Wisconsin, we stayed at a campground in DeForest. One huge draw for us with this campground is that it is near one of our favorite bakeries - the Windsor Bakery. Highly recommended - especially after a run. And what a run it was: I discovered a network of trails that took me the entire way (roughly 6 miles) from the campground almost to the bakery. I say "almost" because the bridge was out right where I was planning to hop off the trail to run the two remaining blocks to the bakery. Yikes! My choices were to wade through a river, run on an interstate, or turn around and have Kendall pick me up back up the trail wherever the nearest intersection with a road was (about a mile back). Doubling back was the chosen option and I had to let Kendall do all the decision making at the bakery (he did a marvelous job, btw). Photos are from the trail, highlighting the diverse terrain: wild flowers, riverside boardwalks, farm fields, and a critter (young dragon?) sculpture at the trailhead where Kendall picked me up.














 

Day 3 was traditions day:

Our first pastie of the trip!                                                 The Mackinac Bridge ("The Mighty Mac")

Culminating with Taz back at the waves of Little Traverse Bay


No comments: