Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Fiddling around

My husband says that's the answer he'll give folks when they ask what his retired wife is up to these days...."She's fiddling around." (He doesn't twitch nearly so much saying that as he did when he was responding with "She's running to Michigan.")

Actually, yesterday seemed very reminiscent of my old work days. I dressed in "real" clothes (pants with a zipper and not an ounce of elastic! a shirt with a collar!), I went into our office and dealt with outstanding email correspondence, turned to the desk and tackled the pile of papers waiting there, ate yogurt with kashi while plowing through these things, drank a pot of coffee, and once the clutter of all these odds and ends was obliterated , I wrapped my mind around the major project of the day (an actual paying work assignment!). I concentrated hard on the project in order to make some good forward progress before my afternoon "meeting." All in all, it was spookily like the rhythm of my old work days.

And just what was that aforementioned "meeting"? My first fiddle lesson! Weeehawww!
Learning to play the fiddle was an early entry on my what-I'm-going-to-do-when-I-retire list. And now I'm doing it! If you want to hear Twinkle Twinkle Little Star played by a 55-year-old violin novice, just holler!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paula -

Ethel started playing violin a few years back; unfortunately, she got Frozen Shoulder and now she can't play.

However, she might be able to play FIDDLE - but I'm used to seeing the "fiddle" being played with the base of the instrument between the shoulder and the bicep, rather than under the chin.