Friday, January 25, 2008

Ramblin' Run

Today's plan was to run from my volunteer job in east Boulder to the library in west Boulder. Unlike the last nine days or so, the day started out in double digits! And, as a bonus feature, so did the wind! Of course, being a west wind, I'd be treated to a full frontal breeze. Ah well, that's Boulder winter running for you. Rather than take the straight shot down the Boulder Creek path to the library, I decided to give myself a taste of the wind from every angle and went zigzagging through various bike paths and neighborhoods. On one zig (or was it a zag?) a gust caught me straight on and I yelped "Doh! Doh! Doh!" - easily as eloquent an out-loud muttering as any I uttered during my summer run. Throughout my life, particularly when walking or running, I tend to have a narrative streaming through my brain. During the summer's run, some of it sneaked out. There's nothing quite like running down a quiet road and blurting out about whatever might have tickled your fancy at that moment. Try it! It opens you right up!

After DohDohDoh'ing and reminiscing about summer exclamations, my thoughts turned to tunes. Long-time readers of PJ's Run might remember that I had the Beverly Hillbillies' theme song running through my head for several hundred miles this summer. Well, as tiresome as that was, I must say I sure am glad I didn't start my fiddle lessons prior to The Run. My fiddle and I are now on our third variation of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and that tune is following me everywhere. Not only that, my right arm (which already has a tendency to hang low when I run due to a whole lotta miles logged with a cast on that arm in the early 90s) now incorporates air bowing into its arm swing, right in time with the Twinkle Twinkle humming in my head. Just a little one-woman band-on-the-run, eh?!

As for the rest of my zigzag run: delightful! Neighborhoods I hadn't run through recently, lots of new sights (including the little kiddo's firetruck in the picture above), warmer temperatures, quick conversations with passers by, a decently long non-weenie run, and ending at the library where I enjoyed their new art show then gathered an armload of books to keep me entertained for the next few weeks. Excellent outing!

No comments: