Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Attitude adjustment

Yesterday I was doing a tempo workout with Joe and couldn't believe how excruciatingly slow I was. 'Most every time I go out for a run, I'm passed by whomever else happens to be trotting by. And lately that's been bugging me.
So, today, I was running home from my volunteer job and got passed again. And again.
And I felt the self-irritation begin to rise - but then I was distracted by the sound of a woodpecker, then the sight of the pattern of snow over a manhole cover, then the silence that suddenly enveloped me as I went onto a creek-side path, then the sound of water trickling under the ice... ...and I remembered the crocuses I had discovered poking up beside the path we were running during that tempo workout yesterday, and the dime, quarter and nickel I had spotted over a three block span as I ran home from the tempo, the flattened dollar bill that I rescued from an icy tire track this morning, and the fresh tracks I left in the newly fallen snow as I started my run.

So why be disgusted by a lack of speed, I say, since it's that leisurely pace that offers up so much enjoyment as I meander my way through the world!

Mural along creek path underpass

No comments: