Monday, March 22, 2010

Surprise in the concrete city

Saline Wetlands at sunrise, Lincoln, Nebraska

We spent the night in Lincoln, Nebraska and when I headed out for my run it was right onto a concrete road, concrete sidewalks, and a neighborhood built on concrete. But that neighborhood bordered on a wetlands so I kept my eyes peeled for a gap in the houses that might lead away from all that concrete. Sure enough, as I got to the far end of the neighborhood I spotted a faint set of tire tracks. That was all the encouragement I needed. I followed the tracks, picked my way through some tall grasses and onto a two track which circled all around the Saline Wetlands that have been preserved right in the city of Lincoln. Birds chirping, sun rising - a lovely way to start the day!

No comments: