Friday, September 14, 2012

Frivolous goals

After adding up my miles from last week, then calculating my year-to-date total, my thought process went something like this:
Huh! 1,933.5  How 'bout that.
2,000 - 1,933.5 = about 70 (ok, it was early in the morning and my math chip was not fully charged)
I should be able to do 70 this week.  Wouldn't it be fun to get to 2000 by the middle of September?!

So that's what this week has been about: running 70, getting to 2000.

Of course, I haven't run 70 miles in a week since my birthday 60k (and the weeks leading up to it).  In fact, I've only been running in the 40s and 50s lately.  My body seems to be reminding me of that as we approach the end of this week and its frivolous goal.  I'm sitting at 47 miles for the week right now, so need only a mere 23 over the weekend to get my hastily calculated 70, and an even mere-er 19.5 to get to 2000 for the year.  Do-able, ya?

This is what 70 miles into my Boulder-to-Petoskey run looked like, day 3 of the run, June 9, 2007 (near Wiggins, CO)

No comments: