Monday, December 09, 2013

14

Layered up while volunteering at the Colder Boulder on Saturday. -3 at the start, +7 at the end. Note the ice columns in the pond behind me!

14: the number of articles of clothing I don when going out for a run in this multi-day "deep freeze" that Boulder is experiencing.  Today's run to my volunteer job was done in an absence of degrees - a nice round zero was proudly displaying itself on our thermometer this morning.  I must say, the novelty of this frigidness is wearing very very thin.

The clothing, bottom to top:
  • trail shoes (a tad warmer than road shoes and definitely grippier on what are now snow-packed-so-hard-and-cold roads that slick is the word of the day), 
  • socks (one pair if one of my two extra warm pairs are clean, two pair if not...today my smart wool socks were at the ready), 
  • one pair of underwear (Paul didn't think this should count as a layer but can you imagine how cold you'd be 'down there' without the undies?!), 
  • two pairs of tights/leggings, 
  • a jog bra (see underwear note), 
  • two long-sleeve running shirts, 
  • one LL Bean made-in-Canada-so-it's-gotta-be-warm-right? warmer layer athletic shirt,
  • one neck warmer - one of the best winter running clothing  purchases I have ever splurged on,
  • one polypro running hoodie and boy that hoodie makes a difference
  • one LL Bean jacket that is the warmest jacket I've ever run in - pretty much only wearable if below 10 degrees. My folks got it for me.  I'm guessing when they ordered it they told the person they needed a warm running jacket and the person saw they were from Petoskey, Michigan and - voila! - warmest running jacket on the planet was shipped out.  Although I seldom wear it, I am oh-so-glad I have it on these below 10 degree days!
  • one pair of Saucony two-layer mittens, the race giveaway for the Fast and Flurryous cross-country race a couple of winters ago and the warmest hand-wear I've ever run in,
  • one Colder Boulder roasty toasty hat (if it's windy, I also wear a thin winter hat under the Colder Boulder hat - today all sun, no wind - weehaw!).

No comments: