Friday, December 06, 2013

A Run for the Vaughans

Pop & Aunt Helen 1995
My dad was one of six kids of a coal-mining father - and the last of those kids, my dad's little sister Helen, died this week at the age of 99 and nigh onto 1/2 years.  She invariably had a smile on her face and a twinkle in her eye - and brought that out in anyone she happened to be with, most particularly my dad.

All the Vaughan kids were full of life, ready to take on an adventure and find the joy in most anything they did.  (In the case of my Uncle Porter, maybe a little too much adventure.)






Today as I ran, reminiscing about my dad and aunts and uncles, I was thinking I'd do a fairly routine loop in deference to the 6 degrees and ice/snow-packed roads.  Then I saw the view and just had to follow it.  'Twas up on the trails for me - the first time since the September floods - and it was glorious.  Up up up over snow and rocks and through trees.  Living life to the fullest.  Like a Vaughan.
Skunk Canyon, December 6, 2013

No comments: