Saturday, February 01, 2014

Wondrous World of White




Yesterday was an ice and snow-covered day, with ice winning out. It really was some bad running (tho' I told myself it wasn't as bad as not running at all!).  More snow fell overnight, which offered up a predominately snow-covered pre-dawn outing, almost eliminating the ice factor.  Woohoo!  As a bonus, thanks to it being a weekend wintry day, the town was very verrry quiet as I set off on my run.  No other person on foot was to be seen for the first two-hours. However, one set of footprints preceded me from the south edge of Boulder all the way to the west edge of Superior...'twas rather nice to have the company of this phantom runner.

Somehow, the slow and strenuous run through ankle-to-calf-high snow, with the occasional knee-high drifts, was one of the most calming experiences I've had in quite some time.  Perhaps it was the combination of the all-white world, the silence, the crisp air, and solitude.  All together, despite setting a world-worst record time for the route, this will go down as a Very Good Run.

A study in white, February 1, 2014

No comments: