Sunday, July 30, 2017

Getting back in that saddle

Or so the saying goes when one gets bucked by the bronc. In my case, today, it was getting back on the trail after getting bucked by roots, rocks and vicious hoop (the latter of which happened on a sidewalk, not a trail, but was by far the worst of the buckings).

Mesa Trail. I can do this, yes I can!

After four falls in a couple of weeks, my fear of falling was reaching an all-time high, and that is just not acceptable. For one, I love the peace, quiet, and beauty that is found on trail runs. And for two, I still have trails to run in 20 states (and D.C.!)  to complete my quest to run a trail in every state. I must raise my trail running confidence. And I figure there's no better way than to get back out there and negotiate those rocks, roots, ups, downs, ruts, and hillocks as light- and sure-footedly as possible. Fortunately, trails abound in Boulder. From my house, I ran a mile or so west then, as scribbled in my running log, up Boomerang to Enchanted Mesa to Mesa down Skunk to NCAR base and on home. Lots of trail. Lots of rocks, roots, and hills. Lots of people and loose dogs to add to the equation. A fair amount of walking amidst the running. And no falling. At one point, during a downhill with my knees and hip protesting from the hoop fall, I wondered what would happen if I fell again and I truly did not know if I'd even be able to walk comfortably afterward. No, I don't want to fall again, but I sure don't want the fear of falling to overwhelm me. A couple of hours out in the sunshine, in the company of deer, rabbits, birdsong, dragonflies above, butterflies flitting around me, long views across the plains and near views of canyons and pines provided a rather positive step forward toward conquering fear.

No comments: