Sunday, July 09, 2017

Trail Quest - State #29 - My Home State! Michigan!!!

When we were preparing to embark on our road trip to Michigan, centered on celebrating the Fourth of July in Petoskey, I was delighted to discover that there was going to be a trail race along the North Country trail from Wilderness State Park to Mackinaw City. Ta Dahh!!! My trail for Michigan!!! And what a fantastic race it was - the Waugoshance Trail Marathon & Half-marathon: fewer than 200 runners between the full marathon (which started in Cross Village) and the half-marathon (which I ran). All forested, mostly single-track trail, well-marked with pin flags, and friendly runners appreciating the terrain we were running through. We traversed incredible terrain - trees, ferns, bog-crossings, wild flowers, birds, and a whole lot of quad-busting dipsy doodle ups and downs - steep, steep, steep ranging anywhere from 10 yards to 30-40 yards long. I loved the ups (where I typically gapped anyone who happened to be near me) but was my typical oh-so-cautious on the downs (where I often stepped to the side and let people pass). Because the field of runners was so small, once the pack spread out I found myself running alone much of the time thoroughly enjoying the forest quiet of this lovely portion of the North Country Trail.

Now for the photo essay:
The start line in Wilderness State Park

Because the race was on narrow trails, I attempted to take photos while running (i.e., without stopping), with interesting results. The first photo was taken along a stretch that was entirely fern-covered. Beautiful! The second was as the trail narrowed to single-track and headed into forest and hills.




















As the pack stretched out, I was able to actually stop to quickly snap pictures. These photos are of more forest and ferns, and a lovely stretch along French Farm Lake.



















 And 13.1 miles later, after about a mile of running bike paths and dirt trails into town, the finish!
 

When I first read about the race, it described the route as "technical" trails and I wondered what constituted "technical." After the race, I decided that a technical trail is a trail where most of the runners fall down. I managed three falls (all between 8.5 and 10 miles-ish) - at which point I figured my kneecaps probably couldn't handle a fourth fall so switched from racing to easy running until I got on the bike paths leading into town. Afterward the race director chatted with me and mentioned that falling at least a couple times was to be expected along the course - and in fact, lots of folks at the finish had knees that looked a lot like mine! (Note the nifty wood-carved finisher's medal in my right hand!)


Despite the falls, I still came in second in my 60-69 year age group (I suspect out of a total of two in that age group) - and was awarded a beautiful handmade pottery bowl for my efforts! Taz is either proud of my accomplishment - or - is looking for that bowl to be filled with treats!

























 Afterward, it was time for some relaxing, first with Taz as we got settled for the ride back to Petoskey, then for a stroll along Petoskey's waterfront by our house. Life Up North....so wonderful....




No comments: