Sunday, July 26, 2020

Back out on quiet country roads

Running buddy, Connie, told me about a country road loop that her son has run. Being rather bored of the same-old-same-old around-town routes I've been running, I was intrigued. Kendall said he was quite willing to go out there with me and, having no other plans for today, we decided today was the day for our rural outing.

I must confess, on the eve of the run and during my early morning prep, I was rather appalled at my self-doubt.  Out on unknown roads running by myself. No shade and we've had blistering hot weather. What about loose dogs running rampant in the countryside. Oh dear Oh dear.
"What's with that?!" I ask myself. Do you not remember a 1400-mile run across the country, much of it solo running, much of it in unknown territory, take-the-weather-as-it-comes, and all loose dogs just wanting to lope along beside you? Where did this squeamy meamy timidness come from? Age? Pampered lazy retirement? "Well!" I said to myself as we drove out there, "It's time to put that aside and do some running!" And I am oh-so-glad I did. What a beautiful peaceful run....so needed in these challenging times....

Spectacular views of the Continental Divide to the west throughout the run

The road beckons toward the sunrise
















 
....just me and the horses out there - oh, and hawks - and birds chasing hawks, and a calf behind a sign that said "Beware of the dog"...
 
A view I never tire of - and clouds that kept the day delightfully cool


Glad I got my gumption back!



No comments: