Friday, October 16, 2009

The power of the dribble


Mom's doing very well; home from the hospital, thinking straight, moving around, organizing...pretty much back to her old self (except no longer driving). Me...I'm just now coming around.

Mid-week, calming down with mom's return home, I was fighting fatigue from stress, lack of sleep, and a cold. My powers of concentration were zilch. I had a whole bunch of reading to do for class and little ability to focus. I'd sit, open the book, stand, wander around the house, dabble in this and that, sit, stand, dabble. Then I noticed the sunshine streaming in through the window and decided to turn the dabbling into dribbling.

Basketball is a wonderful thing. Outside, bouncing the ball, trotting around the driveway, shooting towards the big blue sky, rebounding, dribbling, trotting, jumping, shooting, dribbling. Extraordinarily soothing. I'm certain it nudged my soul out of the doldrums and into the light of day. Thursday I rejoined my exercise class, reappeared at my CU class and Friday/today I started the day at my old-usual 5:22 a.m., running to my volunteer job, reading newspapers for AINC, and have continued the day with a bounce in my step. Thank you basketball!

No comments: