Sunday, January 08, 2012

Temptations


This morning's temptations: warm bed, good book, puppy and a steaming cup of coffee - vs. 15 degrees and ice-glazed streets.
The temptations won out until 10 a.m. when I finally got myself layered up, trail shoes laced, and booted my butt out the door.

The first two miles were on roads and concrete bike paths that offered up plenty of slickness and not much fun. From 1/4 miles to two miles my head and training plan were battling it out: "too cold, too icey" "gotta get the miles in" "stiff and slipping" "time on the feet" "grumble" "suck it up." Then I arrived at the South Boulder Creek trailhead and fell in love with running again. Grippy snow-covered trail, glistening fields, blue sky, quiet. A few minutes into it and I felt like I could run all day. Bonus: a running buddy came along the trail offering good company for a few miles. Double bonus: I finished the run in the CU cross-country property where husband Kendall, son Devon and pup Taz were out for a morning walk. The last four minutes of the run were with a dog at my side. As so often happens, a blech run turns good.

No comments: