Sunday, January 10, 2021

Diversions

My running goal for 2021, as noted in an earlier post, is to improve my speed while continuing my joyful pursuit of tourist running out and about. The last few days have leaned very much toward the joy of running out and about.

Friday: I woke up with an undeniable urge to take an early morning run through campus while it is still so very quiet in the final days of winter break. Taz also thoroughly enjoys quiet campus runs - so many exciting smells and critters. This morning we found no raccoons or geese wandering around but Taz did find a critter worth investigating.

 

Saturday: I treated myself to a long run with many delights. Starting at sunrise, the first 6 miles were through quiet countryside accompanied only by hawks, white-tailed deer, and coyotes. The critters were too quick to capture with my camera, but I did manage to snap a photo of the rural scene.

At 6 miles, running buddy Connie appeared over a hilltop offering very welcome company. A few miles later, the SatBoys - guys that I've been running and breakfasting with on Saturdays for about 25 years but haven't seen since October due to the virus - came trotting toward me on the trail. When we met up, Connie continued on to her car and I turned to run with the guys for another few miles as they finished their run. What a treat even with the distancing and masking! After saying farewell to the fellas, I ran on to a nearby mesa where Kendall and Taz were out for their morning walk. Up up up I ran to meet them then we strolled around the mesa together enjoying the bright brisk morning.

Sunday (today): Fresh snow! What's a northern Michigander to do but run? And of course Taz was all for it. And what's a mom to do but check in with kid and dog for a Sunday morning walk? So 'twas a morning of run, walk/chatter, run. A chilly but lovely start to the day.

Paul, Barley and Taz




The Barley-Taz Duo

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mister I-love-to-stick-my-nose-in-the-snow Taz

Running sure can be entertaining, ja?!

No comments: