Tuesday, February 09, 2021

The Land Of CrankyHip


So I have this arthritic hip - and in the "before times" I would go to PT regularly to keep the hip happy. With COVID, my PT visits have stopped, but I have been good about strengthening and mobility exercises through my zoom exercise class. However, the hip seems to be stepping up its crankiness game - particularly if I put a lot of miles in on hard surfaces or if I do a chunk of downhill running. And downhill running I did do this past weekend towards the end of my trail run where the last 3+ miles were predominantly downhill. The hip made sure I knew it was not happy. When that happens I turn to what I now think of as my therapy loop - a .9 mile dirt loop located a mere 6-minute run from my house. We usually refer to this as the YaYa loop because that's where we take our dogs (Jester in years past, now Taz) to get their YaYa's out. Now-a-days, though, I go there with or without dog and go round and round and round for however much time I have on the days I want miles but don't want to aggravate my hip. It's not a usual mode of operation for me since I generally try to pick new and unusual or scenic or entertaining routes to run. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do if living in the Land of CrankyHip.  And the loop does have its pluses. Let's go on a tour! From today's run, 11 degrees out, light snow, light fog...

When I first arrive at the property, I typically head south, going counterclockwise on the loop. This first stretch parallels the highway so is the noisiest. But! this field to the left/east of the trail is the field where I've had the most wildlife sightings: deer (including a pair of bucks that visited frequently last summer/fall), foxes, coyotes, rabbits, hawks, and geese.

 
Curving around east then north typically puts you into the wind if there is any wind and into some shade thus dropping the temperature - so it's where one battens down the hatches of jackets and hats and such. This is also where Taz has had most of his rabbit sightings and chases.

Also along this stretch are several old apple trees. This photo is of my most favorite apple tree in Boulder. It produces rather small but exquisitely crisp and tart apples. An excellent snack stop if I'm passing by on my way home from a long autumn run.

The north-bound stretch is actually in two sections. This second section goes by an obstacle/training course the university built. When it's in use, it makes for an entertaining diversion for passers-by. But the most entertainment it's ever offered when I was running past was when a fox had the obstacle course all to itself and was frolicking around in amongst the obstacles. Those foxes sure know how to keep themselves amused.

Turning west takes one past a community garden. It lies fallow now, but is a feast for the eyes through the spring, summer, and fall months. Everything from greens to cauliflower to corn to flowers and so much more is grown there.
 
 
Another westerly turn and another field where I have spotted foxes, including a fox family with very rambunctious kits.
 
 
And that leads us to the woods and water portion of the run - and often times mud but what's a little mud when you've got woods and water, eh?!



Now frozen, but this is the spot where Linda's dog Farley
 taught Taz pup to actually get into a creek
 









 

 

 I have managed a total of 10 consecutive circuits around this lovely therapy loop before tiring of the routine and I imagine there will be many more multi-circuit therapy runs in my future. Old YaYa has certainly proven to be a bodacious tool to have in my Cranky Hip tool kit!

No comments: