Thursday, February 03, 2022

2021 In The Rear View Mirror

Yes indeedy, it has been a long time since I posted to PJ's Run. I figure I will post a wrap-up of highlights for 2021 in this post - because the next post (and, hopefully many subsequent posts) will be about Kendall's and my New Quest: finding/doing 70 new things for this year of 2022, the year in which we both turn 70!

So! Highlights of 2021, August 22 through December.

We moved my brother, David Lee, into Assisted Living where he will get the additional care that he now requires. Despite having to put the bulk of his 10,000+ toy car collection into storage, he seems quite happy with the situation (and, bonus, it means Kendall and I can be out of town for extended periods of time without worrying quite so much).

 

With David moved and our sister-in-law, Kitty, in stable condition after receiving a liver and kidney transplant, Kendall and I hopped into Hedwig and headed off to Michigan. In addition to finding dandy campgrounds using the nifty Ultimate Campgrounds Public Campgrounds app, a highlight of the trip between Boulder and Petoskey was running the High Trestle Trail in Iowa - an excellent rail trail!

High Trestle trailhead sign in Woodward, Iowa












Looking back west across the trestle











East of the trestle: wildflowers!








Underpass at the Madrid, Iowa trailhead

Way in the distance: Kendall & Taz!


 

 

 

 






 

Continuing on our trek to Petoskey, we came across this sign - a photo of which I had to send to my running buddies, one of whom is a HUGE fan of watermelon. Now we're thinking a July road trip is in order! The town's population may only be 405, but this festival is world renown!

Just after crossing the Michigan state line, we found a campground in Menominee, on the northwest shore of Green Bay/Lake Michigan. My morning run from the campground led me to this exquisite photo op with Mister Taz:

And then we arrived in Petoskey! As usual, I took a gazillion photos - but I've narrowed down my faves to a handful:

 Of course I did some running, exploring hither and thither as well as revisiting old favorites.

Northeastern State Trail - Aloha trailhead




 

 

 

Little Traverse Wheelway between Petoskey & Charlevoix - a very curious deer!
 

View from our run through the new Offield Family Conservancy

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


   
Bear River in Petoskey

Bay View Woods

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

While in Petoskey, I pursued a mini-quest: to run every street within the Petoskey city limits. As I went about completing this quest, I marked in red the streets I had run on the town map:

One of the bonuses of the quest was the discovery of hidden delights - like this hobbit house!

While not running, I occasionally kicked back and enjoyed a book at one of my most favorite reading spots...

 

 

 

 

 

We also enjoyed some special occasions during our stay in Petoskey: an early morning balloon launch, a rambling drive that took us past the farm that my aunt and uncle used to own - and where we had our wedding reception (the apple trees that people - including my dad - climbed to pick apples are still there), and our anniversary lunch on a restaurant balcony overlooking the bay.

 

 

 

Of course, many a day was filled with the typical activities of autumn in Petoskey: sunrise walks with the dog, visits to the farm market, a run to the state park for a quick dip in Lake Michigan, and letting Taz go wild with the waves.

 




...and every night, the sunset; ...all the hours of the day, Mister Kendall.


After Petoskey!

There were big doings back in Boulder after our return from Petoskey - most notably a birthday party for two running buddies, Connie and Anita, followed about a month later for a combo Christmas Tea and birthday party for running buddy, Randall.  I do love being in Petoskey but I sure do miss my running buddies. These gatherings are simply a delight!

Connie and Anita's birthday party
Anita and her birthday rock balancing act

 

 

Randall birthday and Christmas Tea
 

The gang of five (Connie, Randall, Anita, Paula & Amie)
 

 

 

 








 

That brings us to Christmas - a fairly quiet affair this year, but with some traditions still going strong: running to look at decorations, Kendall & Paul putting up our Christmas lights, baking, cookie decorating, and - this year at the last minute - decorating the tree.  And we had a few bonus treats: a zoom call with my Murphey cousins, outdoor caroling for Kitty at her house (she is still under strict orders to stay virus-safe), and a visit from Kendall's brother Andy for Christmas eve and morning.  Kendall and I capped off the holiday season with stroll on the downtown mall admiring the light display.

 

 















 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
And there you have it! We bid farewell to 2021 and dip our toes into 2022.


No comments: