Monday, March 21, 2022

A Delightful First Day of Spring

One of the best things my mom ever gave me was a birthday that often falls on the first day of Spring. What a dandy day for a birthday! The first day of Spring 2022 was a fine first day indeed!

Following my usual routine, I started the day with a run - but this was no humdrum ordinary run!

A glorious moonset!

 Running buddies waiting for me a few miles into the run!


Calves frolicking alongside the trail!
 
 
Curious cows (and curious Anita)! 
  Pastoral views!
 
 
To finish the run - a meetup with the dog-walking contingent of the VaughanMiller clan!
 


AND! I achieved my goal of running 70 miles the week leading up to and finishing on this day! A goal that I was none too certain that I would achieve but, much to my surprise, as the week went on my body revved up as if to say "it's about time you got back to some Real Running!" I agree! 
 
After the run, it was party prep time which my family tackled with aplomb. Sasha had a grand idea for a dessert. It was great fun to watch the gang bring the "70" dessert extravaganza all together.
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
Speaking of the gang, we kept the party small but had the grand pleasure of welcoming Steve and Kitty (Kendall's brother and wife) to our home for the first time since COVID hit. What a fantastic birthday gift! Kitty is about 7 months out from a kidney and liver transplant and has had to be hyper-cautious. A couple weeks ago the doctors gave her the o.k. to go carefully out and about and, as she said yesterday, it is great to see people and to be seen! So glad they could help me celebrate my birthday!
 
 

As the day wound down, I was able to settle in with my one and only birthday gift request: my kids at my side. I am a very lucky mom.
 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

And speaking of moms - running buddy Connie capped the day with an exquisite gift. After my mom passed away, I inherited her African Violets. I am not a good plant caretaker so I gave them to Connie who is a very excellent plant caretaker. My birthday night, she texted me this photo of mom's violet. In thanks for the first-day-of-spring birthday that mom gave me, I used to send her flowers. This year, Connie sent me flowers from my mom...

No comments: