Monday, October 09, 2023

Ashes

Today would have been my mom's 103rd birthday. I figured this would be a fine day to free my folks' ashes from the boxes they've been in since 2006 (pop) and 2015 (mom). The weather today seemed to be up to the task as well with the wind howling, waves dancing, and rain spitting. Those ashes were going to fly. For further inspiration, as we let the ashes go we played Alison Krauss' rendition of "I'll Fly Away" (which we had played at mom's memorial service as well).

We scattered most of their ashes at Petoskey's Greenwood Cemetery's scatter garden with its stunning view of Little Traverse Bay.




While at the cemetery, we also scattered a few of their ashes at my Uncle Porter and Aunt Evie's (dad's brother and his wife's) grave. I often do running workouts in the cemetery and stop by their graves to leave a flower or Petoskey stone. Today's was an extra special visit.

After the cemetery visit, we still had ashes left for scattering in some special places. A couple of those spots will need to wait until the weather calms down and a final scattering of dad's ashes will take place in the UP on the way back to Boulder, but we did do a scattering at our house in my Petoskey stone garden...


Now you may be wondering why we're being so wimpy about the weather and the rest of the scattering. Let me tell you, it is blustery out there. How blustery? BIG waves! How big? There were folks out surfing!!!

 



 

 

Those little black spots in the waves are surfers!

 

Meanwhile, some happy memories of Elena Lenore and Paul George Vaughan, aka mom and pop, grandma and grampa.

 


 


 

 

 









I'll fly away.....


 


No comments: