Monday, October 23, 2023

If this is Boulder there must be running buddies!

I revel in my time in Petoskey, soaking it in and never seeming to get enough of it. However, upon returning to Boulder I once again realize what a lucky human I am to be surrounded by family and friends and, extra specially, running buddies.

When we drove up to our Boulder home, we were oh-so-pleased to discover a Paul at our house! Taz was especially thrilled, running circles around his boy, jumping up and down and grinning as only a cattle dog can do. Unfortunately, he was moving so fast I couldn't get a photo so you'll just have to make do with a pic of a mom thoroughly delighted to have one of her offspring within hug range.

Paula, the short one, hugging Paul, the tall one


A few days into our return, with packing and chores done, it was time to resume my running routine. This routine, for a quarter century or so, has included running with a group of guys (the "Satboys") on Saturdays (thus the name) followed by breakfast. The group has shrunk a bit since its earlier days but four of us hardy souls are still hanging out in the area and available to regularly meet up for our Saturday morning frivolity. This Saturday, the first Saturday in a couple of months when all four of us have been in town, found us meandering through the autumn golds of CU South before our breakfast reward. Boy oh boy did we have a lot of catching up (and heckling, and world problem solving, and laughing) to do!

Left to right: Oliver (the dog), Phil (the dog's human), Joe, and AndyE
 
Post-retirement, I hooked back up with running buddy, Connie, who I had done a lot of Boulder Road Runner workouts with pre-kids and consuming career. What evolved next is a wonderful demonstration of the organic growth of friendships that running provides:
  • Connie's neighbor, Anita, who Connie had been running with, made us a threesome.
  • A friend and avid runner who lives a short mile down the road from me, Amie, heard about the exercise class Connie and Anita had introduced me to to supplement my running and joined in on that as well as some runs with us.
  • While running on a trail to meet up with the gals, I crossed paths with an office mate's wife, Randall, who, it turns out, is quite the runner. She continued west and I continued east to meet the gang and, as soon as I saw them, I asked if it'd be ok with them if Randall started joining in on some of our runs. And thus we became five! 

Now we do many workouts together but, better yet, we celebrate each other throughout the year. Yesterday, four of us had a lovely trail run together. Today, all five of us gathered for a lunch out to celebrate the autumn birthdays of the group. 

Anita on the Coal Creek trail -
she found the balloon!












Anita, Randall & Connie beckoning me into the photo. Ha!

A selfie it is... pj, Anita, Randall & Connie



 

All dressed up in birthday party finery & looking good with the jack-o-lanterns
Randall, Amie, Connie & Anita

The bonds of running buddy friendship go far beyond footfalls and mileage. 'Tis a wonderful thing.




No comments: