Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Running 'til the well runs dry

...or at least the water bottle...


I left the house this morning with the thermometer reading 24 degrees. By the time I finished my volunteer work, a couple of hours later, the degrees had moved up to 36. Still cold enough for multiple layers. As I started my run from the volunteer location, I realized I was bored with every one of the routes home - lovely trails and paths tho' they may be, I've simply run them way too many times lately. Since even warmer temps were predicted for the day - the warmest temps we've seen in many a day - I decided I'd just run directly home and save most of my miles for later in the day. Fifteen minutes later, I was ready to shed a layer and found myself zigging east (away from home) rather than zagging homeward. With each step, up the temperature climbed. DEEEElightful!

I was running and stripping, preschoolers were out on walking field trips, skateboarders and rollerbladers were whizzing by, model plane flyers were out in the fields (the little spec in the photo just right of center, a bit above the flatirons, is a model glider), playgrounds were filled with squealing kiddos, moms were out with strollers and babies in backpacks, dads were out with daughters on training wheels, an old fella was walking his cat, people were running and cycling in shorts, and everybody was smiling. Oh we do love that hint of spring! So zig zig zig I went until my water bottle started to run dry, then it was a zagging trot on back to the homestead where I jumped into a pair of shorts and bounced right back outside to enjoy today's golden sunshine ....for tomorrow it shall snow....

No comments: