Sunday, March 11, 2012

Spring is in the air!

Good golly Miss Molly. Spring is rushing toward us! Crocuses are blooming, tulips are pushing up, buds are bulging, the scent of moisture permeates the air, hawks are flying in pairs. I thought yesterday's meadowlark sighting was the ultimate portent of spring, but that may have been usurped by today's very brief sprinkling of rain that fell during my last long run before next week's birthday 60k.

Speaking of which... Today's run was a final exploration of two sections of the run that I hadn't quite pinned down. One: the section through one of Gunbarrel's neighborhoods. I had missed a turn when I ran that stretch last week plus I really wanted to find a portapotty. I got the turns figured out today but no luck on the porta potty. 18 miles (from mile 2 to 20) with no "facilities." Could be interesting! The second section to verify was the underpass under the Diagonal near 47th. I just needed to make sure I could get across the railroad tracks after the underpass and onto the Cottonwood Trail. Someone has already cut through the fence - so all good!

I'll be putting in the final tweeks on the route this week. You can find it at http://gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5324212

Lately I've been feeling like this is actually an achievable endeavor. My long runs have been decent, my days after my long runs have felt good. But for concrete evidence of how my training has been going, I put the numbers into excel and came up with the following chart. The numbers are nothing compared to what I did for my run to Michigan - but I think they're adequate for a successful birthday 60k!


No comments: