Friday, March 13, 2020

Peaceful Moments, Delightful Diversions, Encouraging Signs

Times of late have been, shall we say, ...unnerving?  "Social distancing," school closures, event cancellations, extreme wariness of the health of those nearby. Fortunately, the medical establishment is encouraging folks to get outdoors (at 6-foot-distances from the nearest human). I am more than willing to oblige. And when I do oblige I am rewarded: fresh breezes on my face, bird song in the air, rustling grasses, a bit of sweat, muscles moving.  I don't know how running does it, but it is both calming and invigorating. Ahhhhh.

The delights of recent runs:
Lawn Art!

More Lawn Art - Same House!

Newly discovered Little Free Library
First daffodils of the season!

In addition to the encouraging signs of spring (the new daffys) I am beginning to experience encouraging signs in running after a year of many disruptions and puny workouts. Much to my delight, yesterday's fairly flat-surface run was done at a cadence of 91 left-foot-falls per minute - a goal I try to maintain while race training. My hill workouts with Connie have been strong ...and almost as fast as Connie!  And, bonus, my weight is starting to creep downward *and* I can once again pull on my favorite pair of jeans without unbuttoning them!  Progress!

No comments: