Thursday, March 26, 2020

The running crowd - of one

I look at the calendar next to my desk and see this:
56k into my 60k 60th birthday run
And that makes me think of this:
Starting out on the final trail in my quest to run a trail in every state (Fraser River Trail, Colorado)
So many grand running adventures - all made possible and even more grand with friends and family supporting me all along the way.


With COVID-19 upon us, rules of social distancing and keeping group sizes at less than 10 individuals caused us to make some adjustments in our runs. Small groups and running venues that would allow us to spread out became the rule of the day.  And that led to this photo from yesterday's run:
A stellar example of social distancing when we found Waldo at the top of Boomerang Hill!

Then yesterday afternoon Governor Polis issued a Stay In Place executive order. The order does allow outdoor activity - but disallows activity with anyone but one's self and members of one's household. Thus we are looking at a future of solo runs here for a bit.

Feeling a bit at loose ends with this turn of events, today's run was a meandering affair which Taz seemed to thoroughly approve of. First we dropped some documents off at Paul's house (Paul on one side of the door, me on the other, washed hands touching the documents) then I thought I'd cruise on by running buddy AndyE's house to wave hello from the street. As usual, he was out and about the house being busy, this time armed with a broom.

Next we set off toward a street which I thought might lead to a trail I had discovered a while back. We found that trail - and that trail led to another trail that I had not known about. Finding a new trail is always a highlight in my running life - and Taz and his nose were quite delighted with this new sniffing territory.
Yes! This trail does lead somewhere!
Plenty plenty to sniff here!
































From that trail we headed over to East Campus, attempted to follow a barely visible trail in order to get off the sidewalk, and stumbled across a pair of vultures enjoying breakfast. They did not appreciate the intrusion and flew off - and I was appalled that we were causing so much disruption. We trotted lickety-split right back to the sidewalk. Shame on me!

From East Campus I realized our timing might be coinciding with Kendall's grocery delivery to my brother, David. A quick phone call confirmed this so Taz and I bounded over to Dave's Senior Apartment Complex where we put on a little dance in the middle of the street below his window for his morning's entertainment.  After that, 'twas a calm run homeward bound where we found these bright blossoms awaiting our arrival.

A solo run - but entertaining nonetheless!












































No comments: