Sunday, March 02, 2014

Boots Take Three

I thought you loved me mom.....

Very cold and icy yesterday.  Still very cold today - 5 degrees - but Taz pup was seriously jonesin' to get out for a run.  So the boots came out once again.

On our first attempt a month or so ago, while just sitting around the house looking for some entertainment, we didn't even manage to get the boots on his paws.

On our second attempt, I donned all my running gear and put the harness on Taz before even pulling out the boots. With his focus firmly on going out the door, he tolerated me putting the boots on his tootsies.  He hated the feel of them, unwilling to put his paws down on the ground, walking with legs akimbo until somehow shedding all of the boots within about 20 yards of the beginning of the run.

Today, again, all my gear on, his harness on, focus on going out the door, and tolerance of me covering his paws with the boots.  This time, however, we made it part way along our sidewalk before the first boot came off, he ran with a fairly steady gait as the run got firmly underway, then made it a good 4-to-5 minutes into the run before the 2nd then 3rd boots came off.  The fourth boot held on as we got into the meat of the run: Taz's yaya loop where he can run off leash.  Woohoo!  a 25% success rate!  Part way around the yaya loop I called him back to me to make sure the boot was still on so I'd know whether or not I should be poking around in the snow looking for it.  Taz being Taz, he came charging back to me at full speed which, of course, sent the boot flying off.  Ah well, at least he had warm tootsies for a bit of the run.  And, cold or hot, snow or sunshine, wet or dry, that dog just is happy to be out!


No comments: