Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Daydreaming on the run

Of vistas and daydreams on the run - January 21, 2009

Today's run was a basic commute to and from my volunteer job. The trip in before the sun was up was quite dark. Have you ever noticed that some days dark is really really dark? Well, today was one of those days, so rather than run the unlit bike paths, I moved over to the roads. Then I got tired of the cars (funny how they hang around roads) so I zigzagged into and through a neighborhood that wasn't quite as dark as the bike paths and not quite as busy as some roads. With the quiet, came a peacefulness that encouraged daydreaming. 'Twas a good morning for daydreaming. We have a new president, a president whom I believe is truly for the people, by the people, and of the people. Now it is time for us people to take some our dreams, work with our president, and do!

Running back home after volunteering, I stayed with the bike paths and trails. Both the vista and the quiet were soothing and again fostered daydreams. I've just started corresponding with a running acquaintance who is interested in a long run, specifically a north/south run along the east coast of the US...currently envisioned as a Maine-to-Miami run. We would do it in segments, beginning in 2010 and finishing in 2012 - the year we both turn 60. As I trotted towards home, along a trail through a field, I heard crackling noises - and realized I was hearing the ground awaken. Our third consecutive balmy day was bringing out insects and sprouts and who knows what all else. It is for those moments, the moments of being able to hear the earth burst forth with life, that makes me think that the daydream of another long run should become reality.

No comments: