Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Quiet

Minnesota - corn, soybeans and sky for as far as the eye can see...

I just finished editing the third part of the four-part series that I'm writing for Marathon & Beyond about my run to Petoskey. In this installment, I do a lot of tallying. One of the tallies that I included was "15 minutes" without being passed by a car on one of the county roads we traveled in Minnesota. My oh my how precious that quiet time is.

Being retired, I don't live a particularly hectic life these days. However, today started with an icy run to exercise class where a gaggle of sweating folks contorted for an hour with boisterous music, followed by an hour's run in howling winds over slightly less icy but car-filled roads that took me back home. There I had a quick shower, an equally quick lunch, then worked a few hours on my M&B story. After submitting the story, it was e-mail perusal time where I found a message from the professor for the class I just started taking. Holy toledo! I have homework! Due tomorrow! So next up: make some dinner and read read read.

In the midst of the upcoming months filled with running, my Monday/Wednesday/Friday a.m. volunteer job, Monday/Wednesday/Friday p.m. linguistics class, Tuesday/Thursday exercise class, and Tuesday fiddle class I need to sit down with trail info and road maps and figure out a 200-300 mile stretch of peaceful running for a mini-summer sojourn. It's long overdue.

...oh, and one funny farm

No comments: