Saturday, March 14, 2015

A new goal! Short-term but still a goal!


This morning I had the pleasure of starting my run before sunrise. Bright moon, birds awakening, critters rustling in the fields...quiet, calm...the loneliness - and  peace - of the long distance runner.

An hour or so into my run, I passed by a cyclist who had set his bike down by the trail and was gazing off to the west. I made a comment about the lovely morning and he replied with a comment about the beautiful sunrise. Seeing as how I was running east (sunrise blocked by hills) and he was facing west, I thought I should turn around and take a look at what had captured his attention.  Stunning! The sun coming up in the east was shining off Long's Peak and the peaks of the Continental Divide to the west. Brilliant!

A couple of quick photos later, I continued east and discovered I had been inspired.  I've a birthday coming up with no big running celebration in the works, which just doesn't seem right. So! Birthday is 7 days away counting today and the birthday day.  In that week, why not run the miles to match my age? Why not indeed! So that's the plan: 63 miles for the week ending on the first day of spring. I shall post my progress here. Stay tuned!

No comments: