Monday, February 03, 2020

2020 Is Upon Us!




2019 was far from a stellar year of running for me, with many interruptions due to a variety of reasons. If looking only at numbers, one sees a total of 1,685.5 miles for the year - the fewest miles I've run in a year since 1988, the last year I was pregnant. But never being one to focus solely on numbers - or the negative - when I think back on 2019 I tend to land on the highlights that were generously sprinkled throughout the year: invigorating snow runs, wildlife sightings, Bolder Boulder frivolity with son Paul and friend Mort, a new (to me) trail in northern Michigan, a surprise post-run running buddy birthday tailgate party...the list goes on and includes many a smile amongst the miles.

But the sun and moon have set on 2019 and we have a new year well underway. Hopefully also well underway is my return to consistent running - for consistency, above all else, I believe, is the key to strong and happy running. It also helps to have a goal to complement that desired consistency. For me, the goal is no longer a Boston qualifier marathon or a top 10 Bolder Boulder age group placement. I do enjoy speed work with running buddies, hill repeats, and negative split hard runs - and hope to continue to do all that but more for the love of sweat and the joy of strengthening muscles than for racing rewards. No, my goal is to be able to spot a trail and run the length of it on the spur of the moment or to hop out of the car during a back-country road trip and tell Kendall to meet me at the next town - and to know that my legs, lungs and heart are up to the task. Yes, my goal is to be a prolific running tourist for as long as my body can stand it.

Kendall and I haven't had a chance at a road trip for quite some time, but meanwhile, I have managed some very enjoyable local running tourism.

Taz along Coal Creek Trail - long runs are short enough he gets to come with!
Sneaking a peek at the ducks in Boulder Creek
Taz cozied up to a sculpture we found during a meandering run through Chautauqua
Barr Lake with hundreds of birds and stellar views of the Continental Divide




The view I most often see of my running buddies - but I continue to strive to catch up!


Another goal, as this post may have led you to guess, is to keep this blog up, documenting my progress along the way. Going public provides such great incentive. Onward!


No comments: