Wednesday, February 05, 2020

The Life of a (semi) Retiree

I did retire in 2006. But then I went and un-retired in 2014 for a supposedly short-term part-time project helping to set up an Accessibility and Usability testing lab for my former department (IT at CU-Boulder). Somehow I am still working there - with the title of Accessibility Testing Coordinator. Fortunately, it is on a part-time basis with very understanding managers who let me take off whenever I like. Thus I can spend a month at a time in Michigan or complete a quest to run a trail in each of the 50 states. And thus, I keep returning to work.

Also, as a retiree, I seem to take full advantage of the leisurely casual retiree lifestyle and occasionally show up at work in full running gear - with the office as my end-of-run location. Today I had just one short meeting I needed to attend. Originally I thought I would run early then shower and change and go to the meeting. My first reading of this morning's thermometer (3 degrees) and hearing of the forecast (temps climbing to 30) made me re-think my plan. A 9 a.m. run to the meeting, which would likely bring the degrees count up into double digits, seemed to me to be a much more reasonable course of action. It turned out to be an excellent plan. Temperature of 19 degrees and sun peeking out, sparkling off the newly-fallen snow. Oooh lah lah! What a lovely commute to work!


No comments: