Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Anatomy of a Three Hour Run

When I first awoke today, it was pitch black out and cold; consequently I rolled over and went back to sleep. When I next awoke, it was getting light out, but still cold; consequently I grabbed my book and snuggled deeper into my covers. Finally, a bit after 8, I decided I really should get myself into gear. Having a 3-hour run on tap, I needed to eat, drink, load my water bottle, pack some gu, and give myself at least a bit of time after eating before running. Pre-run eating is a fairly new thing for me. I've been experimenting with oatmeal and tried it again today (with success!). By the time I got out the door it was after 10....darned late for me to be starting a run, I must say.

I had been cogitating hard on which route to run. After last night's showers, I ruled out some trails that have a high post-rain mud factor. Additional trails were ruled out because of mountain lion (and mountain lion kill cache) sightings. And still other routes were ruled out because of lack of water refills along the way. I finally decided on an easterly route that would eventually take me to the Boulder Creek Path which I could run west as far as I needed, and then south as far as I needed before coming back home in three hours. One block out the door, the warm air and bright blue sky captured me and I decided to head south and west (more away from town busy-ness than the originally-planned route). As I ran I devised a route that was basically a cobbling together of several of my standard shorter routes. I was pleased with the plan. Then, about 10 minutes later, as I approached a "T" intersection of bike paths I spotted Benji and Amie running east from the "T" where I was going to turn west. Amie (who was a few steps behind Benji and another runner) yelled out "Which way are you running?". I thought a split second and yelled back "Whichever way you're going." Third running plan of the day... We join up and head to the CU cross-country property where Amie leads me on an hour-long loop-di-loop course while we chat away. That was one quick hour of running - a great start to my 3-hour run.

After parting ways with Amie, I head south from the CU course and move on to the South Boulder Creek trail, where I remember I'm in the midst of a three-hour run so take a gu and drink heartily. At the point where the South Boulder Creek zigs east, I zagged west so I could add a bit of distance, avoid some mud, and refill my water bottle at a gas station. As I run the back way around the circle drive leading to the gas station, I realize I'm going past an office building I've been in before - and that I know has a drinking fountain and rest room. Thinking that those facilities would be much more pleasant than the gas station, I stop in, drink, refill, empty, and zoom back out again. On to the next phase of the run.

I've recently become aware of a pedestrian path between two neighborhoods that avoids a busy road so I head for that. And as I come out on the east end of that path, I spot what looks like an open space gate at the end of the next bit of the neighborhood. I run there and lo and behold, there is an open space path that then turns into a single track trail that runs along the west bank of South Boulder Creek where I thought there was only a path on the east bank. A new trail! Always a good running day when one finds a new trail! I follow that north until it ends at the bridge that crosses the creek and I get back on the main trail and continue north onto the Bobolink trail, then a little jog through a neighborhood to the Centennial trail, more neighborhood, then the Boulder Creek trail where I head west.

It was on this north and west section where I noticed I was more plodding than running. At that point I resorted to a number of tricks to get some rhythm back in my legs:
  • singing Yankee Doodle (which, when done with gusto, works out to a 9 minute pace...go ahead...go to a track and try it!),
  • counting (back when I was training for a qualifier for the 100th Boston, I worked on cadence, trying for 180 footfalls per minute, and got it so ingrained in my head that I can now just start counting and arrive at that cadence by the time I've counted to 10)
  • thinking of my BCOR coach (yeah Josh) telling me to lift my knees, run strong, swing my arms
All those combined, plus the distraction of eavesdropping on passing walkers and cyclists (my favorite curiosity was "the men's team has some mental issues") got me to my next refill station (a drinking fountain along the bike path) in pretty good shape. By that point, I figured I had about 3.5 miles to go.

It was getting a bit warmish and I was definitely fatiguing so was glad the bulk of the run was behind me. Now for the slightly uphill grind to the finish. A mile more on the Boulder Creek Path then onto the Skunk Creek Path, past the grazing goats in the Research Park (Boulder's version of lawn mowers), then a choice: do I wind my way easterly, southerly, westerly and back home? or do I cut through some research properties, through a parking lot, across a median and onto the straightest shot home. I opt for the latter realizing I'm really pooped. I drank a bunch more then tried to pick it up a bit on the straight-shot street. From the street, it was onto the Bear Creek path and into the underpass that takes me to my neighborhood. I glanced at my watch: 2:54. From the underpass to home the shortest way is shorter than 6 minutes. Okay, suck it up. I stayed on the Bear Creek path into the neighborhood then looped back around to my house, and clicked off the watch as my toe touched the driveway: 3:00:33.

The aftermath - pretty darned good actually. I hosed my legs down with cold water, followed by a shower and lunch. Then it was off to the post office via bicycle to mail a package to my college boys, then vacuumed the house (including cobwebs that have pry been there since my folks last came to visit - for my dad's 85th birthday - and he's approaching his 95th), then did a cold water wash and ironed a whole bunch of shirts. It was at this point in the day that I was thinking a "Music for Household Chores Hour" would be a good addition to our local radio station's lineup. There are some tunes that are great for rockin' out those chores with.

Now! Hungry again! Later!

No comments: