Saturday, September 23, 2006

New perspective

My, times they are a changing...
I'm running a marathon tomorrow. If it weren't right here in Boulder, I may have forgotten all about it. I'm also running the new Denver marathon in October - and I'm not really sure which weekend it's on and I've no clue where the course is. Both marathons are training runs and this non-hyped approach to prepping for them is rather novel for me. As the press for Boulder Backroads has picked up the last few days, I have had to remind myself that, no, I don't really need to rest for the marathon and, no, I don't really need to do the pre-race carbo-load thing since I supposedly should be eating enough for high mileage all the time anyway, and, absolutely no, I don't need to be wondering how many women have registered in the 50-54 year old age category. Something that really pointed out the change in direction my running has taken the last few months was this week's cut-back in mileage (planned as part of my 4-week training cycle) - I've had to be very conservative with my daily run miles during the week given tomorrow's 26.2 since I want to keep my mileage under 50 for the week. Since when did 50 become my low water mark?!

No comments: