Sunday, September 10, 2006

Domesticity Day

A bit of a gray and drizzly day here in Boulder - perfect for doodling around the house. First, though, we headed out for a run/ride - me running (with Jester) and Kendall riding his bike along side. It's a great time for talking and sightseeing through the neighborhoods together. When we got back to the house, I continued for a few more miles in a round-about route to the grocery store where I'd be meeting up with Kendall again for the week's shopping. (Today's run brought this week's mileage total to 72.)

Upon arriving back at the house from the store, I unloaded groceries while Kendall cooked up a batch of green chili. (While I was at the Buff game yesterday, he was perusing the farmers' markets in Denver for chilis, stocking up for the winter.) We got all that done - and a load of wash going - in time for the Bronco game. The game was not so great, but the bean and rice burritos smothered with a fresh batch of green chili were most excellent!

During the second half of the game, the most astounding thing happened. Both Kendall and I started in on sewing projects! Neither one of us would even remotely be mistaken for seamstresses, but there Kendall was, fixing pockets on a couple of shirts and I was repairing a dog blanket. (My sister-in-law, who is extraordinarily skilled with a needle, made us a blanket out of squares of old sweats. It is the handiest dog blanket since it can - and needs to - be washed so often. A few of the squares were ripped up so I put in new ones. Fortunately, only Jester dog will be getting a close look at my stitching prowess or lack thereof...)

After the sewing project and another load of wash, it was time to return to the kitchen - this time to bake a cake in honor of a birthday boy. I must have music when I bake; this afternoon it was Big Band music followed by the sound track from Moulin Rouge. A somewhat unusual selection for my baking accompaniment, but it worked quite well for the mixing and beating.

To finish off the day, I have a choice of ironing or reading. I'm thinking I go with the book; one can get too carried away with this domesticity thing doncha know!

No comments: