Friday, September 15, 2006

Multi-threading messages

As each day goes by, I'm constantly thinking about what to write in this blog. And today, new things kept popping up.
  1. Getting the newspaper in the morning is turning into quite the festive occasion. This morning, there were THREE boxes from Gatorade waiting on the doorstep: one with a 3-gallon cooler, one with four water bottles and a smaller cooler, and one with a bazillion cups. Gatorade has really come through. Thank you Chuck!
  2. Being so excited about the Gatorade delivery, I went right out for my run - in time for the sunrise, the autumn-gold grasses waving in the breeze, hawks soaring on the thermals above, a fox pausing to watch me go by. A grand early morning 90 minutes.
  3. Gulped down some oatmeal (not the easiest thing to gulp, by the way) and hopped on my bike for the ~4 mile ride to my massage appointment. Most of the ride is down 30th street which also happens to be the bulk of the route for the Bound bus. Many a time I've cycled this street playing leap frog with the Bound, which inevitably pulls away from me as we continue to the furthest point north. Not today; today I BEAT THE BUS! I will ignore the fact that there is a strong possibility that the bus driver did not know he was in a race, and that he is required to let off passengers at requested stops - the last of which allowed me to go ahead for good. Bottom line is, I BEAT THE BUS!
  4. After beating the bus, Magic Fingers Beggsy worked me over. I walked in there with some pretty serious alignment issues, and walked out of there with a nice smooth, even gait (and a bunch of exercises to add to my training regimen). Thank you Holly!
  5. Got home to find an email from Mark with some tweaks to my running schedule. I'll be alternating weeks with a long hill run one week and a long tempo run the other week, and every couple of weeks I'll be doing back-to-back long runs. Looking forward to it. Thanks Mark!
As you can see, lots of thank yous are in order during this whole prepping for my run to Michigan. I'm one lucky lady!

I've decided to head to the hills for tomorrow's long run and get in some autumn aspen viewing whilst running. If any of you Colorado readers out there have suggestions of where to run 18-20 miles in the high country (on not too technical a trail), do send them my way!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try the trail around Lumpy Ridge, Rocky Mtn National Park, about 11 miles.

"Start at the Twin Owls trailhead, which is reached from downtown Estes Park by heading north on McGregor Ave (between Bond Park and the Municipal Building) which turns into Devil’s Gulch Road. One mile up Devil’s Gulch Road you will come to a sharp curve to the right. At this curve is McGregor Ranch. Drive into McGregor Ranch and follow the road until it reaches the Twin Owls trailhead (¾ mile). If you have extra time, you may want to check out the ranch. It is a historical working ranch, run by a non profit organization. There is a museum and some other activities.

The name Lumpy Ridge comes from an Arapaho name that means Little Lumps. Two prominent features of Lumpy Ridge are the Needles, to the northwest, and Twin Owls, to the southeast. The area is extremely popular with rock climbers. Also, the area is home to a number of raptors."
To get your mileage - do two loops!

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Check out some Indian Peaks Trails:
http://www.protrails.com/trail.php?trailID=28