Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The 60-minute 8-minute run

I've been feeling sluggish since our return from our road trip to Michigan. I don't know if it's because of the hours in the car, the return to altitude, allergies due to all the pollen flying about, or just a basic bout of random sluggishness. In any case, I wasn't terribly enthused about going out for my afternoon run.

To get myself out the door, I devised an errand to run: pick up a prescription at our neighborhood King Soopers - a good 8-minute run from home. Being the realistic sort (on a good day), I knew that an 8-minute run would not really be adequate preparation for running 30 miles per day, so I picked a circuitous route to Soops, making it a full 30 minute run to the store (whoopdedoo!). When I turned in the Rx, the pharmacist said it would be a half-hour before it was ready. I sort of looked around for something to do to fill the time then promptly kicked myself back out the door to run some more. It just so happens that I was in a neighborhood that I've run through a kazillion times before and wasn't much in the mood to run a kazillion-and-one times, so I began to meander. And lo and behold I found myself running by the rec center that I had joined one January day when I was fed up with running through snowdrifts and over icy roads. So! In I went to lift some weights - something I've been quite neglectful of the last several months. Not only did the weights pump up my meager muscles, they seemed to have pumped up my energy system. I came out of there a new woman, with a spring in my step, and a readiness to run a few hills on the way back to the store. All in all, a 60 minute run, and a new outlook on life. A fine workout indeed!

Side note: today is the ninth anniversary of the day we adopted Jester dog into our family. What a happy addition to our family! (This picture was taken during a sunset walk along Petoskey's Little Traverse Bay shoreline last week.)

No comments: