Sunday, April 29, 2007

Race Surprise

The Boulder Distance Carnival was held today and Joe, AndyE, and I all signed up for the 15k option. Yesterday I had a preposterously slow run where I seemed incapable of moving at anything faster than an aged snail's pace and was achy creaky all day. Consequently, I was not expecting much out of today's race - and, in fact, was looking at it as just a run in a lovely setting for a good cause. We all three agreed to go out conservatively and simply enjoy ourselves, thinking a 10 mpm pace would be quite acceptable.

So! Imagine my surprise when I found myself chomping at the bit to go at a quicker pace early in the first mile. I tried to contain myself but eventually turned to the guys and said "I'm gonna see what I've got in me today." and they both said go for it. My plan was to run very comfortably the first 5k, pick it up just a skosh the second 5k, then see how fast I could go for the last 5k. The plan worked out quite well with 5k splits of: 29:58, 58:45, 86:08. The whole last 5k I kept telling myself I may not be fast, but I sure am strong right now - so go for it! Overall, a 9:15 pace with a last 5k around 8:50 pace. After so much slow running, this was quite the unexpected treat!

No comments: