Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Desk job

After my morning run (2.5 hours, including hill drills with AndyE) and a bit of stretching, I sat down in front of the computer and there I stayed for the next 7 hours. It was a long, tiring day but fruitful. The big effort was putting together emails for Departments of Transportation describing what I'm going to be doing this summer and, in particular, the routes I plan on following through the individual states. Emails got sent to Colorado, Nebraska (3 different districts/3 different emails), Iowa and Minnesota - and - I've already received responses back from two of Nebraska's districts. And what excellent responses they were - describing levels of traffic, the types of traffic (i.e., farm traffic, commuter traffic, main passageways to Canada, etc.), whether there is shoulder and what kind of shoulder, construction possibilities, etc. Great stuff. In one case, an alternate route was advised so I'm now corresponding back and forth about options. Well worth the Day at the Desk.

Another reason why the desk day was, hopefully, worthwhile: I slept like crap last night. I think the arrival of the motor home in our driveway has driven home the reality of all of this - and all the stuff that is yet to be completed. Thinking of all that stuff is not a restful activity at 2 a.m. Perhaps the progress with the DOTs will help ease my mind.

So, a lot got done. A lot also didn't get done: my second run of the day, icing, lunch, strength work, a trip to the pharmacy, some social security stuff for my son (somehow they don't have his social security number in relation to a job he had - I can't quite figure that out), washing the floors, reading today's newspaper, transcribing the most current Wisconsin route into a day-by-day ledger with route description and GPS coordinates for pickup points (which I need to do before I can write to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation districts - another state where I run through 3 districts)....yada yada yada. Good thing I didn't want to be bored while retired.

No comments: