Thursday, April 26, 2007

Markers


Four months ago yesterday, my dad died. Six weeks from yesterday, I leave on The Run. I'm still not reconciled to not having my dad around to talk to about all this and, especially, to talk to while I'm on the road. However! I very much wanted to have something of his with me while running and today a package arrived from my mom.

Pop was an avid golfer - from his teen years as a caddy until he was 90 (when he wasn't able to walk the course any longer and he refused to rent a cart). And I've been thinking of ways to mark my stopping/starting points - such as sidewalk chalk, ribbon, recording the gps coordinates... And it came to me! I could mark my stopping/starting point with the little markers that golfers use to mark their ball placement on the green - specifically the little markers that were still hanging out in dad's golf bag and jackets. The package I opened today was filled with those little markers and golf tees - which would also work beautifully for marking my place. There were even the two silver markers, engraved with his initials, that I had sent to him many moons ago. I think I'll save those for special days - perhaps the first day and while in Michigan.

Now a bit of Pop's obsession will be with me as I indulge in my obsession. It feels good.

No comments: