Friday, September 22, 2006

Non-running training regimen

Both Mark (coach) and Holly (massage therapist) have begun talking to me about the importance of recovery. Those who have been reading pj's run this week know that me and not-running don't get along too well. But recovery goes beyond not running and that's what I really need to put more emphasis on: stretching, icing, strengthening, cross-training, sleep, nutrition...the list goes on.

Mark wants me to pay particular attention to what I do to recover after long runs and to make note of what works. Holly has offered to help me build a more structured regimen of non-running activity to help ensure I'm doing all that I can do to build up to the summer in the healthiest way possible. This is definitely unchartered territory for me after many years of putting all my eggs into the running basket with the limited amount of non-work, non-mom-stuff time I had. But I'm in a new world now, being retired and empty nested. Time to build a new bag of tricks!

No comments: