Monday, September 25, 2006

Slow Fun & Happy

Yesterday was the 8th running of the Boulder Backroads Marathon & Half-Marathon). I've participated in this event each year it's been run, once in the half-marathon (coming off a stress fracture) and, as of yesterday, 7 times in the marathon. I know by now that, to have an enjoyable day out there, one must:
  1. run the first 10 miles conservatively
  2. push solidly through the next 10 miles
  3. count on your training for the last 6.2 miles
I had a most enjoyable day out there yesterday!

First, I was successful at being conservative with the first 10 (actually 12) miles with the help of a woman I hooked up with who was easy to converse with and easy to just run quietly next to (thank you Hillary from Ft. Collins!). Miles 12 to 17 were run solo and pretty much on cruise control. Mile 17 is my traditional Backroads gut check point. It's the furthest east point on the course and is where we do a 180 degree turn and start heading back to the finish. On a bad day, it's where one would start a long and arduous westward (uphill) shuffle; on a mediocre day, it's where one regroups, and digs in for the long road back; on a good day, it's where one begins to pick up the effort to see how quick the last 9.2 miles can be covered. On this day, I made the turn, did the gut check and my body answered back with a suprised "Wow! I feel great!" From mile 17 to the finish I got passed by one young long-legged fellow whom I passed back around mile 24; other than that, I did all the passing. I cheered for the course marshalls, bantered with the aid station volunteers, marvelled at the views of the Continental Divide, watched in awe as parasailers floated by, charged the hills, hammered the downhills, ran my fastest mile at mile 25, and crossed the finish line with a smile 26.2 miles wide. I felt like I could run forever - and that, folks, is what this year's training is all about!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All that happiness and 3rd in your age group... times they are a changin'