Sunday, August 13, 2006

Introducing...reality

Yesterday (Saturday) was my first zero-mile day in 9.5 weeks. I gave myself the day off primarily because we were having a yard sale which consumed my time for most of the day, but also because I had already run a lot of miles for the week, and because I was feeling awfully pooped by the end of Friday's run. Having had a zero-mile day, I was expecting to run quite long and merrily today, but faded badly (more so than Friday) after about 2 hours. I think there are three things going on:
- lots of miles (another 72 mile week this week, even with yesterday off),
- heat with humidity (the latter being rather unusual for Colorado, but good practice for next summer), and
- not eating enough yesterday.

Upon arriving home, I was completely incommunicative until I'd iced my legs down, eaten some oatmeal with nectarines and brown sugar, and had two glasses of iced chai ...at which point I rejoined the human race, resumed bantering with the family, and started in on another project (in this case, working with my younger son to divvy up his possessions into three piles: that which will fit in our packs for next week's train ride to Knox College, that which will need to be shipped in time for his arrival at Knox College, and that which we will carry in the car when we drive to Knox with his older brother in September).

Another bright spot that helped bring me around: the box I decided to use for Paul's shipping pile was the box that held the newly arrived Brooks Adrenaline from RRS. I'm currently on pair #24 of this model of shoe - they're a good match for my feet. I open up the shoe boxes, and to my surprise, these Brooks Adrenalines are trimmed in red rather than the same old blue I've been running in the past few years! It's the little things that keep us smiling!

No comments: