Saturday, August 19, 2006

Relax. Run.

Yesterday was the quintessential retiree day: easy run, luxurious massage from Magic Fingers Beggsy, stroll on Boulder's Pearl Street mall, visit with a running buddy who happens to have an office on the mall, take my best work buddy (also now retired) out for a leisurely, joyful birthday lunch, lounge at the library and finish Fried Green Tomatoes (with aging Idgie still bringing a smile to everyone's faces...I can only hope to do the same as I wind my way through life), visit a running store, eat barbecue... It was an excellent lead-in to today's long run.

I don't know if it was yesterday's easy-going day, or the cool weather (60-ish with light rain), or the pre-run oatmeal (running buddy AndyE's favorite pre-long-run meal that I thought I'd try), but it was the best long run (just over 3 hours) I've had for a while.
And! to top off the day! I met with my coach and we've got a general plan worked out now: 4-week cycles, with two long runs and a long (3 mile) hill run each week (and easier runs on the other days). Focus on strength, speed is irrelevant (in addition to being virtually nonexistent in this body ;-)). Keep up the Boot Camp work for core, upper body, glute and quad strength. Dennis commented on my last entry asking if I'd found those brain cells yet - now you know why I've got a coach - to keep me from being stupid (which Mark knows is my primary goal through all this training).

No comments: