Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Nutrition wake up call

This past spring, at my husband's school's silent auction, I bid on and won a nutrition and metabolic consult at the Boulder Center for Sports Medicine. Today I took advantage of it. What a wake up call! Being of relatively small stature, and an easy weight gainer, I've always tried to keep the calorie count down. Today I learned that my resting metabolic rate is 1210 kcals per day. And for years I've figured my daily caloric intake should be in the 1500-1800 range. Au contraire says the nutritionist. With my current training level, I should be consuming closer to 2600 calories per day! Yowza! I'm generally eating enough fruits and vegies, but only about half the grains and milk, and about one-third of the protein that I should be eating. It will be quite interesting to see what kind of difference the increase in calories, protein, carbs, and dairy makes in my energy and recovery abilities. The nutritionist recommends a gradual increase in calories; I'm looking forward to monitoring the effects!

No comments: